My Mind to Me a Kingdom Is

My Mind to Me a Kingdom Is
_________________________________

My mind to me a kingdom is,

Such present joys therein I find,

That it excels all other bliss

That earth affords or grows by kind:

Though much I want which most would have,

Yet still my mind forbids to crave.



No princely pomp, no wealthy store,

No force to win the victory,

No wily wit to salve a sore,

No shape to feed a loving eye;

To none of these I yield as thrall:

For why? My mind doth serve for all.



I see how plenty surfeits oft,

And hasty climbers soon do fall;

I see that those which are aloft

Mishap doth threaten most of all;

They get with toil, they keep with fear;

Such cares my mind could never bear.



Content I live, this is my stay,

I seek no more than may suffice,

I press to bear no haughty sway;

Look, what I lack my mind supplies.

Lo, thus I triumph like a king,

Content with that my mind doth bring.



Some have too much, yet still do crave,

I little have, and seek no more:

They are but poor, though much they have,

And I am rich with little store:

They poor, I rich; they beg, I give;

They lack, I leave; they pine, I live.



I laugh not at another's loss,

I grudge not at another's gain;

No worldly waves my mind can toss,

My state at one doth still remain.

I fear no foe, I fawn no friend;

I loathe not life, nor dread my end.



Some weigh their pleasure by their lust,

Their wisdom by their rage of will;

Their treasure is their only trust,

A cloaked craft their store of skill:

But all the pleasure that I find

Is to maintain a quiet mind.



My wealth is health and perfect ease:

My conscience clear my chief defense;

I neither seek by bribes to please,

Nor by deceit to breed offence.

Thus do I live, thus will I die;

Would all did so, as well as I.
______________________

*** Sir Edward Dyer

Popular posts from this blog

THE FIRST BOOKE OF THE FAERIE QVEENE. Contayning THE LEGENDE OF THE KNIGHT OF THE RED CROSSE, OR OF HOLINESSE.

Caurapâñcâśikâ

A Prouder Man Than You